Sunday, November 16, 2008

Snow Canyon Half Marathon

These are faces of joy! Our training is over and our race went great! Jeff and I ran the Snow Canyon half marathon two weekends ago and despite our pre-race dinner being corn bread, chili, and Halloween treats, (it was the day after Halloween), we both shaved several minutes off our previous personal bests! Jeff finished in a lightning fast 1:45, and I finished in a not-so-lightning-fast, but fast for a slow girl time of 1:57. We had been following a training program from a book published by runners world called "Run less, run faster." I am always skeptical that I can improve my times, just because I know I am on the low end of the natural ability scale, but I am now a believer.
The race course was beautiful! The first eight miles took us on roads and trails through Snow Canyon State Park, then we exited the park and ran through the Entrada development in Santa Clara. The race finished at Snow Canyon High School. It was a beautiful, sunny day with temps in the mid fifties. Jeff and I both felt pretty good afterward, and rewarded ourselves with a trip to In & Out Burger and Bajio. Food never tastes quite so good as it does after a long race.
I have to post these events because they are things I never thought I could do. I watched my friends and family compete in athletics throughout High School and knew I didn't have the ability, discipline, or will to ever join them. I remember running/walking the mandatory mile and a half in P.E. my senior year and thinking to my self "I will never be a runner". I feels great to be in better shape at 32 with three kids then I was in High School. I finally feel like I am in control of my body instead of my body controlling me. I am no super model, or super athlete, but I am healthy and it feels good.


4 comments:

TGriggs said...

WAY TO GO CHELSEA!!!! Can I take any credit on your athletic training by our massive workouts in my basement in Michigan? hee hee. I am glad you are updating your blog. It is always fun to see my good friend. I miss you!

J & M Shumate Family said...

Very Cool Chelsea!!

Amie said...

Yay for you! I, too, feel more fit and fabulous than I did 15 years ago and it's wonderful! I can't wait to race with you someday. That's a great time, by the way.

Mary Ellen said...

HUGE congrats, that's an awesome time. I'll have to look at that training program!