Sunday, March 9, 2008

13.1 is a whole lot of fun!

Jeff and I had a speedy overnighter in Moab this weekend to run the Canyonlands half marathon. It is a beautiful course which follows the Colorado river down a flat canyon to the city. My favorite part of the race was passing a group of about 15 women playing huge drums made out of wine barrels. You could hear the drums echoing up the canyon for a good mile before you could actually see them and it was just the shot in the arm I needed to finish the last three miles. (I happen to know that they are music therapists, which makes them even cooler!)

I have decided that half marathons are the way to go for me. You don't have to be an athlete to do them. (anyone that knows me very well knows that I am living proof of that.) You can train for them running three to four times a week and still have a reasonably good finishing time.( My idea of "good" is anything under ten minute miles.) They do not kill your body(I feel pretty good today, whereas after the marathons, I pretty much wanted to die!). People don't really understand the difference between a half and full marathon - 13 miles, 26 miles, it is all the same once you hit double didgets! (In reality, training for a full marathon is MUCH harder and takes WAY more time!) You usually get a really good shirt and good post-race treats! ( that is half the reason I like doing races - all the free stuff). So, it you are looking for a little physical challenge, the 13.1 is a lot of fun!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

TGriggs said...

You guys are crazy! I think I will stick to my treadmill and pilates! I miss our mornings of working out. You were my motivator! Move to Idaho!

azandersens said...

I've always wanted to do a 1/2. I imagine that it would be perfect - a good challenge w/out destroying your body. Someday . . .

Brianne said...

Good for you guys! I am so jeleous of you guys spending so much time outside. We have yet to see our grass. But keep up the running! I think I will stick to my 30 minute walks on the treadmill.

Mary Ellen said...

Yeah Chelsea! We're up to 16 miles on our Marathon training. I'm kind of looking forward to having it off of my to do list for 2008, but the Ragnar Relay should be a party!

So Caleb asked me to send an e-mail to the tooth fairy asking for his teeth back so he could show them to his friends...I left them on his bedside table and he was so pleased that she got the message!

Kelly said...

That looks super fun. I think it is great that you and Jeff both run.

Kelly said...

Oh, when are you doing the Wasatch Back. I would love to be in the cheering section.

JoAnn said...

Way to go Saltz! Love this picture here. Nice idea - maybe Adam and I will train fo a 1/2 marathon...

J & M Shumate Family said...

Chelsea!!! My little sis Melanie told me she found your blog off Julianne Hamblin's blog...through Kit....I know you are laughing now! Anyhow, I couldn't resist checking out your cute family! You look great and your kids are adorable! I'm thinking you are back in CC, UT...too too cool. HUGS!!! MaLaan