Sunday, February 24, 2008

Britton's First Cello Recital

This has been a Britton week. As the first child, Britton gets to accomplish many family firsts, the first step, the first word, the first to read, the first to go to school. Because he is the first, I tend to remember his milestones a little more clearly - which is why I have started to blog. Hopefully I will have a record of all of the firsts - even those of child number two and three. But this week was all Britton. He lost his third, but biggest tooth - finally. This one took some work. I must say, he is the cutest toothless first grader I have ever seen. Second, he had his first cello recital. He was first on the program, and a little nervous, but did a good job. I have looked forward to the time when my children would start to play an instrument since before I had children, and was tickled when Britton chose the cello. I always wished I had played the cello instead of the violin, so now, at least someone will carry on that secret wish. I must say, it takes years until listening doesn't hurt your ears and getting him to practice is a challenge, but I think he is starting to enjoy it. He does ask if there is ever going to be such a thing as "Cello Hero" so he could practice and play video games at the same time, but I have to tell him that I don't think it is going to happen any time soon. Britton also sat through his first full-length orchestra concert. There was a cello soloist playing with the Orchestra of Southern Utah and Britton really wanted to go. I was nervous that he would be done by intermission, but he enjoyed it and wanted to stay the whole time. Britton also wrote his first story today. It took him all of sacrament meeting, but at least it kept him occupied. It was about a good sherrif that had kept a town crime-free for many years, but he died. The town proceeded to hire several other sherrifs, but the crime just got worse and worse, so the finally hired 50 sherrifs to take the place of the one good sherrif and everyone was happy again. Every word was written out and it ended up being about ten first-grade handwriting pages long. there were quotes from the townspeople and narrator insights and lots of backwards "j"s, but I must say I was mighty impressed. I always tell Britton I am grateful for him because he made me a mother. I truely am. I love you Britton.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

lovin' it!! What a great story here and he's so cute with that huge instrument. Wow, Chelsea, how fun. Is that Jeff playing the piano too? I am glad to read these happenings. Fun times at the Gardner residence.